St. Antonious Coptic Orthodox Church was established in 1992 when H.H. Pope Shenouda III asked Fr. Takla Azmy to take care of the Coptic families in Oregon, in addition to attending to his duty as the priest in Seattle, WA.
Fr. Takla used to come to Portland, OR one or two Saturdays each month to serve about 10 families and pray the Holy Liturgy. During those times, we used to rent St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church, in Portland. In 1994, the church was registered in the state of Oregon as: "St. Antonious and St. George Coptic Orthodox Church". Prayer and Bible Study meetings were also held at the members' residences throughout the week. Most of the times, they were directed by volunteering Deacons from the Seattle Churches.In 1999, we led a fund raising activity to collect $43K and buy our first own church in Sandy (OR -about 20 miles away from Portland). At that time, we registered the church under "St. Antonious Coptic Orthodox Church". About 25 families could be counted attending the Holy Services.
In 2003, God blessed us with a church building on 65th Street, in the heart of Portland (OR), when the Board responding to the congregation's request moved to a bigger church. This enabled more people to come to the church. Fr. Angelos Sarkis (of St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Seattle) responded to the congregation’s needs on regular basis. He served as a temporary priest in the recent years.
On August 6, 2006, Fr. Mekhail Hanna was appointed by the late Pope Shenouda III as the first permanent priest for the church. Currently, the Church counts over 130 Coptic families besides the youth and children.
In 2013, God blessed us with the current church located at 1422 SE Tacoma St. Portland, Oregon 97202.